Customer Engineer - Machine Learning
Who we are:
ASI is a world leader in data science, machine learning and AI, and our mission is to bring the power of artificial intelligence to everyone. To achieve this vision we have a number of complementary products and services. Our primary product is our data science platform, which empowers technical data scientists to build and deploy machine learning models at scale.
We also have a team of highly-skilled data scientists who work with our clients to build custom machine learning solutions, and we run Europe's most prestigious data science fellowship for academics looking to transition into a career in data science, which get's applications from 10% of the UK STEM PhDs. Our customer engineers work with clients to deploy these outcomes into production to support their decision making.
We are a high integrity organisation of people who believe in searching for truth to create the deepest understanding of the world. From the moment we start something, we make a point of taking the opposing view and playing devil’s advocate. We want ASI to be the best place for you to fulfil your potential. Whilst we are looking for someone with some relevant experience, it need not be in a similar organisation. If you have strong technical and communication skills, are excited by our mission, and believe you will thrive in a dynamic rapidly growing start up, we would like to hear from you.
Customer engineering is a cross-cutting function that touches on every part of our business. It is a client facing function focused on helping our current and future customers get the most out of the products and services we offer. This is important to ASI as it enables us to achieve our mission of delivering the value of AI to everyone.
As a machine learning engineer you will work on real outcomes that get deployed into production. We have an amazing set of clients and projects ranging from counter terrorism, government agencies, retail, marketing, healthcare to financial services. You will build strong relationships with our customers through technical leadership, demonstrating the value of our products and helping to solve engineering challenges.
Deployment of the machine learning models we build is at the heart of what we do. An objective of the function is to to get to a point where > 90% of models we build within the ML team are deployed into a production environment.
- Design and build world class machine learning outcomes using the latest open source technologies.
- Work with our team of expert data scientists to build deployable models and discover insight in data.
- Gain exposure to a wide variety of data science and data engineering projects spanning almost every industry.
- Learn and apply the latest techniques in data science and machine learning.
- Have the opportunity to publish blog articles about the ASI’s views on machine learning in production and our recommendations for related techniques.
- Work with the following technologies:
- React / Node.js
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Apache Spark
Pitching / Client management
- You will work hand-in-hand with our Growth team to introduce our platform to our customers and demonstrate the value it can bring.
- You will bring credibility into sales conversations and give customers confidence in our expertise and ability to deliver.
- Engage with technical people in our clients from the outset to understand their technical requirements and co-design the best approach to deployment for them.
- Ensure all client proposals have set out a clearly stated approach to deployment and support.
- Ensure the data science model code we write is of production quality.
- Design and execute the right approach to supporting live models.
- You will swiftly problem-solve technical issues for customers to show how our platform can make them more productive, collaborative and innovative.
- You will liaise with the product team to stay on top of industry trends, devise enhancements to our platform and help articulate opportunities and threats to the platform space.
You should be an experienced machine learning technical expert with a passion for technology and solving the toughest problems. You should be comfortable jumping in at the deep end and learning new skills on a leading edge platform.
- Commercial experience in a customer facing software engineering, or sales engineering role.
- Commercial experience of machine learning including production deployments at scale. This will include understanding of the main machine learning areas and widely used techniques and algorithms.
- Technical experience understanding of cloud architecture and security, scalable deployment, and open source tools and technologies. Hands-on experience required of at least one major cloud platform
- Demonstrable experience with containers and specifically Kubernetes
- Degree in Computer Science from a top university or able to demonstrate strong CS fundamentals.
- 5+ years of experience in software development, preferably customer facing. Experience should include one of Python, R or Scala.
- Experience building large scale backend systems.
- Hands-on experience with Hadoop and Spark
- Hands-on experience with data stores (SQL and No-SQL)
- Technical understanding of streaming data architectures
- Comfortable in a small, intense and high-growth startup environment.
- Interesting side projects that can show off your work!
- An entrepreneurial mindset and ability to turn ambiguous briefs into successful products.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication.
- Excitement about working in an dynamic role with the autonomy and freedom you need to take ownership of problems and see them through to execution
- You have the right to work in the UK full-time
We value skills over certificates; speak to us if you think you would be great for the role, but do not have the conventional qualifications.
- Enjoy a competitive salary
- Be part of the team helping to deliver benefits of AI to the society
- Have ownership of your work and enjoy the impact you create
- Work alongside exceptional and lovely people
- Engage in interesting and challenging work and the opportunity to make the role your own
- Have equity in a rapidly growing, funded start-up
- Have ownership of your time with unlimited holiday and support for flexible working
- Work in an environment that is extremely supportive for anyone who’s keen to learn and improve
- Have the freedom to further your skill set