AI Safety Fellowship (2017 January)
We believe that artificial intelligence will be one of the two or three transformational technologies of our century. And, like any incredibly powerful tool, we have to ensure it is used wisely.
Unlike most other powerful tools, though, there are likely to be technological ways that we can steer AI to be beneficial to all of humanity. Unfortunately, we think that research in this field is currently being neglected.
To help fix this, ASI will sponsor a Fellow to contribute to the field of AI safety research. This fellow will work for two months on a technical project in the domain of AI safety, hopefully in collaboration with other researchers in the field.
This project will run alongside our conventional fellowship, but be distinct from it. The bursary will be at the level of a London PhD salary. The applicants do not need the same background as our data science fellowship. They need to be able to demonstrate that they can contribute to research at the highest level.
They do not have to want to transition into data science, and do not have to have finished their PhD.
- If you want to apply, please submit your application by 8pm GMT 5th December 2016. Early submissions have a significant advantage as we have more time to review them.
- We will start interviewing candidates either in person at our office or via Skype over the following three weeks
- The course starts on Monday 16th January 2017 and runs through to 10th March 2017. You will need to be able to work in London for the duration of the course.
- The course consists of some formal training and workshops, but the majority of your time will be spent on your project.
- In the final week, we organise an event called Demo Day where all the Fellows will present what they’ve been working on over the 8 weeks. We invite companies and industry experts to this event with a view to hiring.