Senior Software Engineer
ASI is a world leader in data science consulting, education and data innovation. As businesses realise the importance of using data to drive growth and stay competitive, ASI is at the forefront of using data to make better decisions. Be it running the UK’s most prestigious data science fellowship, helping some of the most well known companies in the UK solve their data science problems, or teaching machine learning, statistics and data engineering, the scope of our mission is beyond that of a traditional startup.
ASI is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join the team to help us build a truly innovative data science platform, capable of handling petabyte-scale data analysis. Used both internally by our data science consultants and provided as a service to our clients, you will be building the product that drives ASI’s growth over the coming years. Furthermore, as one of the first hires on ASI’s engineering team you will be given the freedom to shape the technology adoption across our growing consultancy business, thriving corporate training program, and data science fellowship.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for technology and building elegant software applications. They can explain complex ideas simply and clearly, and have a focus on shipping code. They possess strong technical skills in computer science and software development, and enjoy keeping up with cutting-edge technologies.
This is a unique opportunity for someone who wants to solve interesting and important problems, work with the smartest people, and have genuine opportunities to vastly expand their skill set.
- Design and build a world class data science platform using the latest open source big data technologies.
- Work with our team of expert data scientists to build models and discover insight in data.
- Gain exposure to a wide variety of data science and data engineering projects spanning almost every industry.
- Be involved at every stage of the product lifecycle from idea generation to launching products.
- Learn and apply the latest techniques in data science and machine learning
- Have the opportunity to deliver teaching on software engineering to both PhD-level students on our fellowship program and practitioners at various levels in industry.
- Provide direction for back-end technologies and development processes
- Work with the following technologies:
- Scala / Python
- Docker / Kubernetes
- Apache Spark
- Apache Kafka
You should be a programming expert with a passion for technology and solving the toughest problems. You should be comfortable jumping in at the deep end and learning new skills on a bleeding edge platform.
- Degree in Computer Science from a top university or able to demonstrate strong CS fundamentals
- 2+ years of experience in software development. Preferably customer facing.
- Experience building large scale backend systems
- Proven ability in developing high performance algorithms
- Comfortable in a small, intense and high-growth startup environment
- Interesting side projects that can show off your work!
We value skills over certificates; speak to us if you think you would be great for the role, but do not have the conventional qualifications.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and ability to turn ambiguous briefs into successful products.
- Ability to lead a team on creative projects.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication.
- Equity in a rapidly growing, funded start-up.
- The opportunity to work in one of Europe’s most exciting data science and advanced analytics companies.
- High-impact work and the freedom to shape one of our core products.
- A fun, highly-educated and growing team that trusts you and values your learning and advancement.
- Weekly training in the latest data science techniques, tools, and technologies.
- Time to grow as a data engineer / data scientist in the techniques and tools you haven't yet mastered.
- Competitive salary.